DIY Website Workshop
< Back to Basics />
Don’t know where to start? Working with a limited budget? No programming experience?
This hands-on workshop will show you some of the great DIY website options that are available to you for setting up a strong online presence. You will leave with a better understanding of the fundamentals of website design as well as some great tools to get you started.
This 4-hour hands-on course will make sure you are moving in the right direction by covering all the basics required before you actually start to build your site.
> How to create a strategy for your business online.
> Ways to create content for your new website.
> Review of modern, easy to use templates.
> How to use your new website to grow your business.
Part 1 – Getting Started
- Setting Goals & Planning Your Website
- Marketing – an integrated strategy
- Understanding your online customer
- Domains – what you need to know to register, plus some tips on choosing a domain
- Hosting – what are your options
- Choosing a CMS platform
- What is WordPress – .com vs. .org
- Content – tips for creating strong content
- Social Media integration
Part 2 – Website Basics
- Anatomy of a Website – headers, footers, and sidebars
- Creating a Site Map
- Style Guidelines – fonts, colors, logos etc.
- Navigation and Menus
- Types of Content – web pages vs. blogs, video, images
- Website Builders – hosted vs. self-hosted
- Selling Online – e-commerce
- Measuring Website Traffic
- Search Engine Basics
- Keeping Your Site Safe
- Tips & Tricks – getting stuff cheap
What will You Need
You will need a good attention span! This workshop is designed as a four-hour interactive experience with 10 min breaks to refocus.
This workshop is designed for the total beginner. So no previous programming skills are required. But you should know your way around a computer keyboard.
We will ask you to complete the pre-workshop questionnaire (which will be emailed to you automatically upon registration). A laptop (Mac or PC) is required and although part of this class will be taught “off line” be sure this laptop has wifi capability. And be sure to pack your charger. Don’t want you to run out of power before we get done everything. We also recommend you bring a pad for notes.
And most important come prepared to have fun and ask a lot of questions.
Upcoming Workshop Dates
No events currently scheduled.
Looking for a Customized DIY Workshop
We can customize any of our workshops to fit the individual needs of your organization. Let us map out a hands-on presentation that will get exactly the information and advice you need. Contact Us