DIY Website Workshop
< One Day WordPress />
Our plain speak, hands-on workshop will show you step by step how to set up a basic website using the popular WordPress framework. You will also be given the tools necessary to manage your own content and perform updates to your website.
While this course will focus on WordPress, it is much more. You will leave with a strong understanding of the fundamentals of website design & development.
This is a hands-on course designed for people who are ready to set up their website, or will be wanting to do so in the near future. The course is fun and interactive. However it is not for programmers who want to learn about HTML and CSS coding. While we do touch on some basics of HTML and CSS, it is not the focus of this course. We also encourage you to bring your own questions to the workshop. Wherever possible we will use the workshop content to fit individual participants’ needs, so that you go away equipped with all the knowledge you need. Our class size will be kept to no more than 12 to better ensure your success.
The course is taught in 3 parts –
Part 1 – Website Basics
- Setting Goals & Planning Your Website
- Creating a Site Map
- Style Guidelines – fonts, colors, logos etc.
- Types of Content – web pages vs. blogs, video, images
- Website Builders – hosted vs. self-hosted
- Selling Online – e-commerce
- Social Media Integration
- Measuring Website Traffic
- Search Engine Basics
- What is WordPress – .com vs. .org
Part 2 – Getting Started
- Domains – what you need to know to register, plus some tips on choosing a domain
- Hosting – what are your options
- Installing WordPress
- Choosing a Theme – responsive design
- Content – tips for creating strong content
Part 3 – Work With WordPress
- Creating Users & Strong Passwords
- Anatomy of a Website – headers, footers and sidebars
- The WordPress Dashboard – site settings
- WordPress Themes – free vs. premium
- Navigation – menus & widgets
- Manage Your Content Types – posts, pages, media, links and more
- Plugins – install & manage popular site add-ons
- Keeping Your Site Safe – security & backup
- Tips & Tricks – getting stuff cheap
What will You Need
You will need a good attention span! This workshop is a full day with a half hour lunch break and 10 min breaks. This workshop is designed for the total beginner, so no previous programming skills are required. But you should know your way around a computer keyboard.
We will ask you to complete the pre-workshop questionnaire (which will be emailed to you automatically upon registration). A laptop (Mac or PC) is required and although part of this class will be taught “off line” be sure this laptop has wifi capability. And be sure to pack your charger. Don’t want you to run out of power before we get done everything. We also recommend you bring a pad to take notes.
And most important come prepared to have fun and ask a lot of questions.
Upcoming Workshop Dates
No events currently scheduled.
Looking for a Customized DIY Workshop
We can customize any of our workshops to fit the individual needs of your organization. Let us map out a hands-on presentation that will get exactly the information and advice you need. Contact Us